Thursday, October 13, 2005

"Can You Dig It?"

I have never seen "The Warriors" until last night. I did see pictures before and heard certain veiled comments about it, but never actually sat down and watched it. Remembering the pictures was a strange ordeal having to cope with how weird the 80's really were.

When I was a tiny Cody I was also a sick Cody and had to go to the clinic with my mom. Clinics were a bad thing with some voyeuristic dread around with parents and kids, for some odd reason looking at you all the time. You had no choice but to fight back by looking back at all of them to complete this awkward circle. Well little Cody had an ear ache that was so bad that little Cody screamed his little mouth until it was hoarse. I still remember the drops put into the ear and for some reason, it was all better.

Leaving this clinic, I saw a sight to behold even to this day. Standing outside the clinic smoking a cigarette was a skinny black guy with a mohawk. Mr. T was the only black man I have ever seen sporting a hawk and that motherfucker was my hero. Now this guy was wearing not only the stylish blue blockers, but also a shirt with the American flag, super tight blue jeans, and (I shit you not) cowboy boots.

It still blows my mind today. I'm not sure if the guy was going through some sort of crisis with the impending doom of the 90's lurking around the corner or was just too hardcore for it, but this guy still has a lasting memory in my mind. People who accomplish their image with the memory of what exactly they were wearing to stick into little Cody's developing head deserve a medal or statue or something.

Anyway, sitting at two in the morning right beside me watching "The Warriors" was mohawk man, silently smoking his cigarette to the soundtrack of the Warriors making it back to Coney Island. The thought made me smile.

I thought the movie was going to be too cheesy to appreciate. I was dead wrong. Wishing you were a Warrior must have been on every teen's mind when that came out. Shit. I wanna sport a red vest and get into a bunch of fights with baseball clowns and cops. You haven't seen it go ahead and give it a whirl. This movie kicks ass and I want to watch it again. CAN YOU DIG IT!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger grace said...

i haven't seen that flick yet. i want to...

i heard that the movie was the cause of all sorts of violence...

is it just violent? or is it gruesome, too?

12:15 PM  
Blogger Cody said...

It's violent, but not the violence or the gore you see in today's movie. This movie probably caused as much violence as Rocky did when it first came out. Nowhere near as much as something like a Clockwork Orange. Now THAT caused an epidemic.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Cody said...

The beating of that man to "I'm singing in the rain" made lasting impressions on my youth. God bless that movie.

1:04 PM  
Blogger grace said...

yeah... clockwork orange was even more disturbing when i watched it. when i read it, my simple little mind didn't conjure up those horrid images. i mean, they were bad, but NOT THAT BAD.

ufff.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home