Thursday, April 28, 2005

Paperwork Family

My brother and I have always been in an awkward situation when dealing with our dad's side of the family. A family tree that resembles more of a bush than a tree due largely in part of the mass amounts of divorces or in fighting. I have never met my biological grandmother (at least I cannot recall a face or a name) and thought that my "Nanna" was my real grandmother until I was 15. To her defense she has fit the bill nicely. My grandfather (father's father) has no relationship with my father and they never talk anymore. Funny thing about my grandfather is that the most memorable Christmas was watching him try to kill my great grandmother's boyfriend over our inheritance of guns. Somewhere out there is a step brother whom I have never met. His lack of inclusion in my life is the fault of my step mother's disowning. My step brother meekly about him in one sentence is "Not a part of this family anymore." It is a rarity for that side of the family to ever call us for the occasional "how are you" conversations. We call these bastards for Christmas.

The dark, dark humor that seems to stem off from us may just have something to do with the environment we were raised in. It could have heralded the start for losing the concept of sanctimonious idea and ethics. This is not a cop out. I like me. If you don't like me, blame them.

My brother and I did our duty of contacting our the other side with our grandfather. Giving him props, he has been the only one who tries to reach out to us, breaking the cycle of one sided communication. Before we called him, my brother noted that he never liked calling that side of the family.

"Yeah those guys never mess with us. You know. They're our paperwork family."

This is the part where I should be defending them to some degree, but all you will hear is the sound of a tumbleweed crossing a dusty road.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cece Martinez said...

I love your tumbleweed imagery.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Cody said...

I was on a Sergio Leone fix.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Cody said...

Thanks Roy. That's real cool of you.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home