Surprise, Surprise
I just stumbled on an article about MTV and Nine Inch Nails while tossing back Mickey's, calling everyone I knew, and figuring out how to combat boredom in anyway that I could. Here's a little personal back story. I am borderline hardcore fan of Nine Inch Nails. The new album that was released was not entirely my cup of tea, but wasn't a (in my humble opinion) piece of shit. I have followed Trent Reznor's music career as close as I can without lighting candles around his picture in some stale smelling closet.
Now he basically said "fuck you" to MTV for not allowing him to use a giant picture in the backdrop while performing "The Hand That Feeds" during the MTV movie awards. This action by his part did not surprise me at all. What was funny were the amount of public discourse involving the matter. People supporting him, people condemning him. What it really boils down to is an already anti-establishment image publicly (calm down....just speculation) tried to piss off a bunch of people. Surprise, surprise.
There has been some weird consensus that says "Hey rock star, movie star, celebrity, please just shut the fuck up and practice your craft!!", and that sort of thinking makes me gets the gears start turning. Anyone saying this around me doesn't invoke the shovel swinging madmen that some of you might know.
Instead, I just think about the imagine of someone saying these things and turn the table.
"Hey, you work as a teacher, medical assistant, computer programmer, ect.....just shut up about politics and do your job!" (In that same token, maybe I should shut the fuck up and keep putting labels on blood, shit, and urine)
These people that you watch on movies or listen to their CD are not gods. Strip them down of their celebrity status and they are not a whole lot different from you. They have things that they fear, they have things that they like, and probably have a favorite ice cream too. Let them shoot the shit to millions about what they believe in. They have that right in this country, and you have the right to either praise or condemn their actions. Welcome to America.
Celebrity commentators who got their status through discussing politics (i.e. O'Reily, Stewart, Hannity, Maher) piss off people on a seemly daily basis. It's their job. They made you get pissed off, made you say "Hell yeah!!!", or made you scratch your head with provoking thought, then congratulations. They did their job well.
Honestly, I wish there was more of this. Not meaning people put a giant picture of Bush out there in the back of their performance, but more people bitching about politics. In my opinion (and it's just that) there will be more discourse on the matter. More people will be discussing this shit and more ideas will be passed around the table. Let people have a melting pot of ideas. It will give me more to do on the weekend than me talking about me Conquering Doom 3 like a champion.
Surprise, surprise.....this post was written by a libertarian.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home